Adèle Exarchopoulos – Blue is the Warmest Color
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with some really powerful performances and it came down to just two of them battling things out in the end. Both would have been deserving winners.
5. Jennifer Lawrence
4. Sally Hawkins
3. Julia Roberts
2. Lupita Nyong’o
1. June Squibb
5. American Hustle – Superb acting and an above average story make for an interesting movie, but something is still missing.
4. Blue Jasmine – Not one of Allen’s best (IMHO) there are a few funny lines and situations. Blanchett and Hawkins are both great here.
3. August: Osage County – Great script and dialogue by Tracy Letts. Acted expertly by this all star cast.
2. Nebraska – Great movie that builds strong characters who make us all realize what it means to get older and decide what is important in life. Excellent cast. Story is written extremely well. Payne knows how tho write great characters and its so entertaining watching the ones here, but is it really a story worthy of being BP?
1. 12 Years a Slave – Spectacular film that tells such an emotional story that is based on so much truth. McQueen doesn’t shy away from showing the horrific treatment of slaves at a time when half of the US states favored such behavior while the other half were against it, but felt unable to do anything beyond their own borders. The cast is superb and Ejiofor, Nyong’o, Fassbender, Cumberbatch, Giamatti, Dano and Paulson all give very poignant and emotional performances. Nyong’o definitely deserved her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for this very difficult role. This film was definitely a deserving winner of Best Picture at the Oscars despite the fact that Gravity (2013) is a more captivating and an overall better film.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! Nyong’o does a great job with her performance, but Squibb gives a more poignant performance and was probably slightly more deserving eventhough it’s understood why they went with LN in the end.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!