Laura Linney – Mystic River
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a pretty weak year in this category overall. None of the nominees truly stands out among the rest and based on the choices, any of them could have theoretically won.
5. Holly Hunter
4. Patricia Clarkson
3. Marcia Gay Harden
2. Shohreh Aghdashloo
1. Renée Zellweger
5. Thirteen – Terrible film that is really all over the place. The actresses playing the young children seem way too old to be portraying such characters which takes away from the realism of the whole thing. Hunter was nominated for an Oscar for Best supporting actress for her performance here, but I’m not 100% sure as to why. The story doesn’t follow any kind of direct narrative and something constantly feels wrong with the way that all is being presented due to something seeming missing from the way this is being told.
4. Pieces of April – Interesting idea that just doesn’t work very well since they do little to develop the characters enough that we should care about what will happen to them. This movie is filled with some great actors but since they aren’t given much to work with, they aren’t able to take this film to higher levels. The story feels quite unbalanced and despite having some interesting scenes, they are outweighed by the scenes that feel quite lackluster in what they are trying to tell us.
3. Cold Mountain – A bit drawn out and I had trouble believing the matching up of Law and Kidman, but other than that it does an adequate job of transporting us to The South during the waning days of The Civil War. Not nearly as good as Minghella’s The English Patient (1996). Zellwenger was definitely deserving of an Oscar for her role.
2. House of Sand and Fog – Great movie about family honor shown by two very culturally diverse families. Kingsley and Connelly are both amazing here. Love the subtle buildup that keeps switching between a drama and thriller.
1. Mystic River – Amazingly done by Eastwood, who is one of the best directors around. Excellent performances and storyline.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – I guess so! RZ probably won this year due to her missing out the previous year for her role in Chicago since none of the nominees here stand out among the rest.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!