Kyra Sedgewick – Something to Talk About (1995)
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with 5 very solid nominees but two of them clearly stand out among the rest in their film which made both of them co- front runners through most of awards season, even if only one of them could eventually take home gold.
5. Kathleen Quinlan
4. Joan Allen
3. Mare Winningham
2. Kate Winslet
1. Mira Sorvino
5. Nixon – Epic biography of Nixon’s life but it tries too hard to make him look like a monster and doesn’t even attempt to keep things balanced. Hopkins is superb in the lead since he immerses himself in the role and is helped by such a prolific and vast cast of supporting players. Hopkins and Allen were both nominated for acting Oscars for this film yet neither won. The film drags a bit too much at certain points and 3 and a half ours might be too long for a film like this and ultimately hurts the film more than helps it. Stone is a great director, but sometimes even he can go a bit overboard with his style of film-making.
4. Mighty Aphrodite – Very enjoyable Allen film that works quite well due to great dialogue and Sorvino in a breakout role. They slightly overuse the Greek chorus in the film which makes things a bit tiresome, but the idea to make the plot like Greek comedy works to its advantage. The situations that the characters get themselves into is intriguing to watch as things move along at a great pace. As always with Allen films, the entire cast is fun to watch as things get more and more complicated as the story progresses forward. Sorvino deservingly won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her performance here.
3. Georgia – Great depiction of how siblings can affect one another when it comes to fame and fortune despite the fact that both are highly talented. Leigh is great in the lead and gives one of the very best performances of her career in this role. Winningham is also great as the famous big sister who wants to care for her younger sister yet sees the path that she is taking is a destructive one. Winningham received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress for her performance here and was quite deserving of the accolades for it. We see all that she is willing to do to help, but nothing is ever enough. The music is great to listen to here and they do some ice cinematographic tricks with some of the scenes that make things even more poignant to watch. The fact that this film’s premise is based on truth helps things feel even more realistic as we see the struggles presented.
2. Sense and Sensibility – Expertly made period piece that feels more modern than one would expect. Amazing cast helps bring this story to life. Takes a little while to get familiar with the customs of the day, but is done in a way that it feels like a timeless romance movie.
1. Apollo 13 – Amazing film that takes a known event and makes it so gripping and thrilling. The music by Horner is superb and helps keep us in the mood for such a story during so many of the scenes in the film. Excellent cast led by Hanks keeps things interesting and fascinating the whole time without the need to get too technical. Has such a patriotic message that shines throughout. Nominated for 9 awards at the Oscars and only was able to win two of them (in technical categories Sound and Film Editing). Howard’s best achievement as a Director IMHO and he was snubbed of an Oscar nomination for Best Director despite winning the DGA for this. This was clearly the best film of the year and was not in any way deserving of losing the top Oscar to Braveheart (1995) which is also great, but still not as amazing as this film is.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yep! Sorvino definitely stands out the most in her film than the rest of the nominees and is a very solid choice in this breakout role for her even though Winslet was right on her heels in her first Oscar nominated role.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!