Lynne Frederick – Voyage of the Damned
My Overall Thoughts:
This year has three nominees who are spectacular and two more who are also quite good.
5. Piper Laurie
4. Jodie Foster
3. Jane Alexander
2. Lee Grant
1. Beatrice Straight
5. Carrie – Interesting idea that shows a different view of the effects of both abuse at home and abuse at school. The way that both situations are handled very differently works quite well in showing the realism of the situations presented. The cast is superb especially since most are actors and actresses who are at the beginning of their careers but would go on to much bigger things. Spacek was deservingly nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars for this role.
4. Taxi Driver – This is hailed as one of Martin Scorsese’s best movies but I felt too much of a disconnect from the characters in order to love this one. Very gritty and dark look at the plight of veterans and of the harsh NYC nightlife of the 70’s. Bickle is a hero’s antihero who feels forced into his predicament by his war experiences, anti social attitude and his desire to be a protector of those he feels need protection.
3. Voyage of the Damned – Excellent film that does a great job with such a difficult and complex story. The ensemble cast is great here, but even at over 2 and half hours, they don’t have enough time to properly introduce and develop all of these characters. The cats is amazing and some of the most prominent actors are delegated to small cameo roles which says so much about how much this must have been trimmed down. The overall story is quite fascinating to watch unfold especially given the fact that the viewer is more aware of what fate might await these passengers if they are sent back to Germany even if they themselves are still unaware. The story is told quite grippingly and they manage to show us the various factions involved in this story that are all at odds with one another and with each other due to political, financial or even personal reasons. Among the supporting cast, Grant and Fredrick both stand out in great roles. Grant was nominated for an Oscar for Supporting Actress for her work in this film.
2. All the President’s Men – Great depiction of how one of the biggest stories in US History unraveled before the whole country. Redford and Hoffman are excellent together.
1. Network – Excellent movie that truly portrays the lengths executives could possibly go to to get higher ratings. It’s movies like this that made Reality TV a possibility. Amazing cast which won 3 Oscars.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! BS was very good in this role even if it was quite short because she makes a strong impact on the storyline. JA and LG were also both great and any of them would have been a deserving winner.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!