Grace Kelly – High Noon
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with 4 very worthy nominees and one who just scrapes by with an ok performance.
5. Colette Marchand
4. Terry Moore
3. Jean Hagen
2. Thelma Ritter
1. Gloria Grahame
5. Moulin Rouge – Does a nice job depicted how physical ailments can affect the way people think of themselves when they don’t get encouragement from those around them. Ferrer does a pretty impressive job playing a character so short (especially due to his tall statue). The story moves along quite slowly and doesn’t pick up much momentum along the way.
4. With a Song in My Heart – Quite an enjoyable biographical film that gives us a great viewpoint of Froman’s rise to fame. We get a clear understanding as to why she became so loved by her audience. Hayward is great in the lead role and helps make this character come to life before out eyes. The way that her relationships are portrayed are done in a very realistic fashion which helps make us believe them even more. The music is quite fun and helps keep the momentum of the film moving along at a great pace. Ritter was deservingly nominated for her 3rd Oscar for Best Supporting Actress (of 6 career nominations).
3. Come Back, Little Sheba – Interesting idea that works because it allows for the characters to develop before our eyes while also given us a clear sense of what they have gone through in their lives. Lancaster is great in the lead but it slightly outshone by Booth as his wife. She was nominated for and won an Oscar for Best Actress for her performance here. Moore was also Oscar nominated for her work as Best Supporting Actress. The story deals with issues that are quite relatable to everyone as we grow older and yearn for things from the past to return since we will always have the incorrect notion in our minds that things were better at one time and that they can easily return.
2. Singin’ in the Rain – Kelly, O’Connor and Reynolds are all superb here. Great bunch of catchy songs here but the iconic title song will always outshine the rest. The story is a bit weak but still works most of the time. Film has a higher mark by many people due to one iconic scene but the rest of the story just isn’t up to par with it. Always nice to see a Hollywood film about Hollywood.
1. The Bad and the Beautiful – Great premise that works quite well. It may not show Hollywood in such a good light but it comes across as feeling quite realistic as to how things really work. The cast is great with Douglas, Turner, Pidgeon, Powell and Grahame giving great performances. The rumor that most of the roles are based on real people in the industry caused quite a stir but doesn’t take away from the story at all, in fact, it has the opposite effect.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yep! GG does a great job in TB&TB and was quite deserving of her award since she gives the strongest and most powerful performance of the 5 nominees.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!