Mystery of Love – Call Me By Your Name
The Greatest Showman – The Greatest Showman
My Overall Thoughts:
This was a two horse race between two very memorable songs and either could take home the win come Oscar night.
5. Mystery of Love
4. Mighty River
3. Stand Up For Something
2. Remember Me
1. This is Me
5. Call Me By Your Name – Interesting premise that works most of the time because we can truly believe the way the two of the characters fall slowly in love over the course of the summer. Chalamet and Hammer are really believable as lovers and the fact that one is shy and one is outgoing works quite well to keep things feeling realistic. The characters are interesting to watch and we constantly want to know more about their lives. The dialogue is fun to listen to and remains clever the whole time. The one drawback of this film is that some parts move along super slowly and you just want them to be sped up.
4. Mudbound – Great film because it gets so much right along the way. The rampant racism of the South continues to haunt so many despite the fact that the men of the South were sent off to fight in a war for freedom. The cast is superb and all are quite memorable here. The slow pace of the film can be a bit annoying at first, but the payoff is there when it moves along.
3. Marshall – Very interesting true story that is quite poignant and has a powerful message about tolerance in the North during the 1940’s. Boseman is fine here but Gad once again proves how great an actor he can be. The courtroom scenes are done really well and we get a clear picture of the way things works in America during that time period when it comes to prejudice. Despite being quite good, it’s still missing something that would have made it even better.
2. Coco – Not Pixar’s best, but the bar is set quite high. The animation is amazing and in some instances seems so realistic. The story is very original despite following Pixar’s usual storyline formula. The songs are very memorable and are expertly cued by the ethnic Mexican music throughout. The voice cast is spectacular as always. The themes of family and above all remembering those that have gone is done really well throughout.
1. The Greatest Showman – Amazing film that is able to integrate music into such a powerful premise. Jackman is superb in the title role and once again shows how great an actor he can be especially in this genre. The film’s premise about not judging people solely by the way they look is quite apparent throughout and works really well here. It also deals with how people view themselves and how one shouldn’t be afraid to show their real, true self even if it will be difficult for others to accept. The songs are superb and it’s so hard not to want to hear them over and over because they flow so near perfectly. This movie might not tell the story of Barnum exactly as it happened in real life, but it still works on so many levels. The choreography of the film is done spectacularly and everything looks so amazing to watch unfold. In addition to Jackman, the supporting cast is also great, most notable Efron, Zendaya and Williams. One of the best films of 2017, if not THE best.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Nope! Remember Me is a great song, but This is Me is so much more powerful and should have won the Oscar just as it was able to win the Globe.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!