Amy Adams – Arrival
My Overall Thoughts:
This wasn’t a very strong year in this category and there was one front runner that led throughout most of the awards season.
5. Meryl Streep
4. Ruth Negga
3. Natalie Portman
2. Isabelle Huppert
1. Emma Stone
5. Jackie – Portman is amazing here, but the story itself lacks real focus besides her performance. The story is solely about her feelings and seems as if so much more could have been done with this to help the audience connect more. I get the idea that she was living in Camelot and her world came down in a split second, but they could have done a much better job here because the material about that day and the events surrounding it that this was a letdown. 😦
4. Florence Foster Jenkins – Grant and Streep are both great here each on their own but the chemistry between the two of them is somewhat lacking. This film suffers a bit because it doesn’t make a choice of whether it wants to be a comedy or a drama. Streep truly knows how to pick fun roles tho and is a riot to watch (especially when she sings)
3. Loving – Slow moving biographical film that rightfully chooses to focus on the characters themselves instead of their legal battle. Edgerson and Negga are both quite powerful in their roles. This is more of a love story about two people who loved one another not caring about racial differences as opposed to dealing with the legalities of it all.
2. Elle – Interesting film that gets to be a bit too much as things move along. Huppert is amazing (and brave) in the lead role. Brings up many questions that remain with you after it’s all over.
1. La La Land – Amazing modern musical that really manages to capture the look and feel of musicals of old. Excellent songs that are immediately catchy and get you hooked so easily. The production is superbly managed and it all fits together so well. The one minor problem is the story itself isn’t as magical as we perceive musicals to be but the message of the film is extremely clear. Stone and Gosling are great together and have lots of fun chemistry. Look for this film to amass lots and lots of awards come Oscar night despite it not being the best film of the year.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yep! In a weak year, ES was by far the best of the nominees even with IH getting a bit of a resurgence towards the end of the race.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!