Brie Larson (Room)
Helen Mirren – Woman in Gold
My Overall Thoughts:
This is another year where there are 5 solid nominees, yet one of them gives such a powerful performance that she clearly stands out among them all.
5. Cate Blanchett
4. Jennifer Lawrence
3. Saoirse Ronan
2. Charlotte Rampling
1. Brie Larson
5. Joy – Much better than I expected. Great and quirky characters that each have their own voice that shines through. Excellent cast that mainly consists of Russell’s regulars help make us believe the story.
4. Carol – Excellent cast that really makes us believe that this story is real. Plot drags a bit here and there, but in general it gives us a pretty accurate account of how same gender relationships were viewed during that time period no matter the cost. The production design and atmosphere really resonates with the time period and we are magically transported back 60 year to a time and place that is both familiar and also foreign.
3. Brooklyn – This is both a coming of age movie, but also a romantic love story. Liked how the characters interacted throughout and it’s hard to say anything really bad about this film. Everything works, but for some reason, I still wanted more and felt something was missing despite it coming together so well. Excellent performances namely by Ronan. Does a wonderful job transporting us back in time. Very pleasant movie that I wish was even more inspiring.
2. 45 Years – Excellent performances by both lead actors because you really believe that they have been together for so long by the way they act towards each other and also with how the routines in their lives are set like clockwork. Asks so many questions about love and how it affects all of us even after so many years.
1. Room – Excellent tale of hope and survival in a seemingly impossible situation. Amazing performances by all especially Larson and Trembley. Loved how this movie is mostly told from Jack’s perspective including the angle it’s usually shot from throughout. There are lots of things I would like to know that weren’t explained in the movie seemingly on purpose because it’s all told from an innocent child-like perspective. Wonder if the book adds even more insight.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! BL is amazing in Room and gave a much more powerful perfoemance than the other nominees even if they also did nice jobs with their roles.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!