Jennifer Aniston – Cake
My Overall Thoughts:
This was another year where there was one name that led throughout the awrads season and barring a last minute upset, it was almost a given who would probably take hime Gold.
5. Felicity Jones
4. Reese Witherspoon
3. Marion Cotillard
2. Julianne Moore
1. Rosamund Pike
5. Wild – Often used plot line for movies about people seeking redemption. Adequately done here with a great performance by Witherspoon. Unfortunately, everything else seems too recycled to feel unique.
4. Two Days, One Night – Very intriguing idea that works despite the fact that it feels like this kind of story would be repetitive. Cotillard is great in the lead and we can really feel for her as the clocks ticks on. The story itself comes across as seeming quite realistic and the way they present it all works pretty well for us to sympathize with the situation the main character finds herself in. The idea to not develop any of the characters very much also works because we can understand each of their positions solely by the short encounters with them.
3. The Theory of Everything – Excellent acting by the two leads elevates a good story to something even better. Very informative and eye opening biopic.
2. Still Alice – Moore is amazing in this role and I’ll be very surprised if she doesn’t win an Oscar for it. Great supporting cast. Not easy to watch the progression of the disease because it is done do well.
1. Gone Girl – Excellent film that is done almost perfectly. Fincher manages to pull the viewer in from the very start and doesn’t let go until the very last frame. Amazing cast led by Affleck who fits the main character so well. As great as he is here though, he is outshone throughout by Pike who delivers the best performance of her career because she is able to show such amazing range with her character. She was deservingly nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for this role but was beaten by Moore for her performance in Still Alice (2014). The story moves along at a great pace and manages to throw in so many shocking twists and turns along the way that keep the viewer constantly guessing as to what is truly transpiring.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! JM was amazing in SA but RP was even better in GG and plays her character so powerfully there.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!