Uma Thurman – Kill Bill Vol. 2
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with 3 very worthy nominees and two more who just scrape by. One of them tho gave such a powerful performance that she went into Oscar night as the front runner.
5. Annette Bening
4. Kate Winslet
3. Imelda Staunton
2. Catalina Sandino Moreno
1. Hilary Swank
5. Being Julia – Pretty boring film that just doesn’t work as well as one would hope despite a very talented cast. Bening is good in the lead, but it’s really hard to care about her or anything that really happens around her. The story doesn’t feel unique enough and instead seems like a rehash of so many other similarly themed stories.
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – Interesting concept done in a very strange way. Not for everyone, but if you like “out of the box” concepts in movies, you will probably like this one.
3. Vera Drake – Interesting story that works quite well. Staunton deserving was nominated for quite a few awards for this role including Best Actress at the Oscars and Globes. The story gives us an interesting perspective on the way abortions were handled in the 1950’s in England even though it was against the law. The story moves at an interesting pace and allows us to slowly digest all that is happening while also allowing us to decide what we believe about everything going on. Leigh does a wonderful job directed and definitely deserved his Oscar nomination for Best Director for this film.
2. Maria Full of Grace – Really interesting depiction of how the drug trade works and how they exploit people who need quick money n exchange for something that is borderline dangerous. The story is told quite well and Moreno really stands out here. She deservingly received an Oscar nomination for Best Actress for her performance here which despite only being her debut film role is so powerful and gripping. The story moves along at a great pace and is able to show us the intricate ways that the drug trade is able to successfully get their product into the US.
1. Million Dollar Baby – Powerful and moving film about decisions in life and living with those decisions. Very deserving of winning Best Picture. Eastwood, Freeman and especially Swank are all superb here.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! HS was quite deserving of her second win in this category with this very powerful performance which was by far better than the other 4 nominees.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!