Jane Fonda – 9 To 5
My Overall Thoughts:
This is another year with 5 pretty good performances and any of them would have been worthy of winning since none are spectacular.
5. Ellen Burstyn
4. Mary Tyler Moore
3. Goldie Hawn
2. Sissy Spacek
1. Gena Rowlands
5. Private Benjamin – Not such a great movie. Hawn has a few good moments here, but overall, just a mediocre movie that doesn’t stand the test of time.
4. Resurrection – Interesting idea that just doesn’t manage to stay enjoyable for a two hour run time. Burstyn is pretty good in the lead and allows the viewer to see how such an event could affect someone so much that they can become to believe in things that they easily rejected beforehand. Eva Le Gallienne was nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Burstyn’s grandmother, but she unfortunately isn’t as much of a standout as one could hope for. The rest of the supporting cast is also quite good here and I especially liked seeing DeMunn in a small yet significant role.
3. Coal Miner’s Daughter – Very good biopic. First half is stronger than the second. Great performances by Spacek and by Jones.
2. Gloria – Very interesting premise that works quite well because of the way that Rowlands plays this character. She is tough, yet very sympathetic which helps us care more about her and the paths that she chooses as the story moves along. This film is able to present things in a gripping fashion and allows the mismatched chemistry between the two main characters to help keep things moving at a thrilling and gripping pave. Rowlands was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress for her work here and she does a great job with this role. The twists and turns in the story work well in adding so much suspense to things while at the same time shows us how a character can wrestle with their own conscience as they debate how to act in certain situations.
1. Ordinary People – Great directorial debut of Redford. Excellent story that really delves into how tragedy can affect ordinary people’s lives. Amazing cast.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – I guess so! SS does a nice job here with her performance but GR was slightly better even if her role was much grittier.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!