Katharine Hepburn (Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner)
Debbie Reynolds – Divorce American Style
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with 5 very powerful and deserving nominees yet one was he front runner throughout the Awards season and went into the night as the expected winner.
5. Anne Bancroft
4. Faye Dunaway
3. Katharine Hepburn
2. Audrey Hepburn
1. Edith Evans
5. The Graduate – This film is more iconic for a few of its scenes and its music but still isn’t as amazing as some claim. Cast is great with Hoffman, Bancroft and Ross all giving career defining performances. The music is amazing and the Simon & Garfunkel songs have always been associated with this film (and vice versa). There are some really great scenes in this film, but something just seems off in the way that the story is told. Nichols won Best Director for this film, but the film failed to win any of the other 6 nominations.
4. The Whisperers – Very enjoyable story that is enhanced even more by the amazing performance by Evans. She is able to make us believe her characters paranoia and slight senility. Her character is an innocent who is taken advantage of by anyone with who see encounters yet allows things to happen with the hope for better things to come. The movie is filmed from a great vantage point that allows us to really see things from her viewpoint. The dialogue is written really well and allows us to get a clear idea of what is always going on as the story unfolds in ways that one might not necessarily expect.
3. Bonnie and Clyde – The thing that makes this film so great is the chemistry between the two leads played by Beatty and Dunaway. The way that the plot is presented works really well because we see how things can slowly escalate in situations like this until they get completely out of hand. The supporting cast is just as good as the leads and its great seeing how Hackman, Parsons and Pollard each hold their own against the two powerhouse actors they are paired with. All 5 of them got Oscar nominations for their roles, but only Parsons walked away with gold that year.
2. Wait Until Dark – All four main actors are great and we believe each of their characters as being real. Hepburn is amazing as the leading lady while Arkin, Crenna and Weston are all perfect for their parts. Loved the way the dialogue flowed along with the action and the idea itself is truly brilliant. Still cant believe that I never saw this before and I can’t wait to see it again.
1. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner – Excellent movie, great acting, great dialogue and story with a very true message that even stands the test of time up through modern times.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! I can understand how KH could possibly have won a sympathy vote this tear after Tracy passing away, but EE did a much better job and probably should have won.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!