Ingrid Bergman – Spellbound
My Overall Thoughts:
This is another hear with 5 very deserving performances and any of them could have conceivably won the awrad because they are all that good in these roles.
5. Greer Garson
4. Jennifer Jones
3. Ingrid Bergman
2. Joan Crawford
1. Gene Tierney
5. Love Letters – Fun romance that works due to the great chemistry between Cotten and Jones. Jones was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress for her work here as an amnesiac woman who lives her life in a very free spirited way. Gripping dialogue between the characters that is enhanced by the care free spirit of things. The story does a fine job of balancing the mystery aspects of the story with the romance ones and stays quite effective throughout. The musical score is great and has been used so often even since making things feel even more familiar.
4. The Valley of Decision – Enjoyable film that works due to the performances of Peck and Garson who make these characters come to life. Garson was deservingly nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress for her work here because of the way that her character needs to move so fluidly between the various social classes. The story does a nice job dealing with the way that the upper and lower classes interacted around the turn of the 20th Century and how both sides had different ways of viewing the same events which led to many complications. The story shows the heartache that people felt during their troubling times as they all tried to find a way to reach their potentials. Crisp and Barrymore are also both superb in supporting roles.
3. Mildred Pierce – Crawford does a great job in the lead role. Loved the way this film utilizes a non-linear format to give us the whole story. The way that we get to see how the characters evolve over the course of the story is great and I wasn’t expecting this film to be as interesting as it turned out to be.
2. Leave Her to Heaven – Great story that goes places one would never expect. Tierney and Wilde are both superb here and help make us believe their courtship, their marriage and everything that happens along the way. The story does a nice job showing the life of characters like these and allows us to see some of the deep and dark secrets that they must keep in order for things to work for them. Tierney is superb in this film and plays her character so well that it’s no surprise that she was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress for her work here. Wilde is equally as good especially once we get to see the true nature of these characters. The way that this story is told almost entirely in flashback works really well in enhancing the mystery of the story since it gives us some nice twists and turns along the way.
1. The Bells of St. Mary’s – Very enjoyable film that takes a simple story and keeps it interesting the entire time. The characters are all great and they keep surprising us the entire time. Crosby is notable as the first actor to receive multiple Oscar nominations for the same character and this film also has the honor of being the very first sequel to ever get a nomination for Best Picture. This is probably the most enjoyable of the 5 nominees that year.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! I can understand how JC could won here, but GT does a much better job with her role and was slightly more deservng of this win.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!