Norah Baring – Murder!
My Overall Thoughts:
From 1935 and backwards, many of the nominated films are really difficult (if not impossible) to find, so many of these years will have numerous “holes” in my knowledge of the nominees. I realize that it limits my scope, but something are out of EVEN my control.
Of the three that I’ve seen, we get three great performances (two from Garbo) and either of them would have been a deserving winner.
- Nancy Carroll (Not Seen Yet)
- Gloria Swanson (Not Seen Yet)
- Ruth Chatterton (Not Seen Yet)
2. Greta Garbo
1. Norma Shearer
- The Devil’s Holiday (Not Seen Yet)
- Sarah and Son (Not Seen Yet)
- Their Own Desire (Not Seen Yet)
- The Trespasser (Not Seen Yet)
3. Anna Christie – Interesting idea that works even better given the time frame that it was made. Garbo is great in the lead and was quite deserving of her Oscar nomination for Best Actress for this role. The way that the main character wants to keep her past a secret is done quite well especially since it’s easy to see why she doesn’t want her past to affect how she is seen by those that love her.
2. Romance – Great film that shows how the wisdom of the aged can help serve the youth even when it comes to tales of love and romance. The film is framed quite well by scenes from the “present” while most of the entire film is told in flashback. The war between the classes is described quite well here we get to see how the segregation between the classes can affect the many choices people could make in their lives even when it comes to love and marriage.
1. The Divorcee – Definitely deals with some very risque situations that I wouldn’t have suspected would be film back during the early days of film. Shearer does a wonderful job in the lead as a woman constantly torn by the decisions she must make in life over and over. She deservingly won an Oscar for Best Actress for this role because we can really feel who internal struggles even when those around her act hypocritical when faced with similar situations.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yep! NS does a great job in TD and was a deserving winner based on the three performances that I’ve seen so far.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!