Clara Bow – Wings
My Overall Thoughts:
From 1935 and backwards, many of the nominated films are really difficult (if not impossible) to find, so many of these years will have numerous “holes” in my knowledge of the nominees. I realize that it limits my scope, but something are out of EVEN my control.
I’ve only seen 2 of these films and they both starred the same actress, so it’s a bit difficult to judge these films and the nominated performances.
3. Louise Dresser
2. Gloria Swanson
1. Janet Gaynor
- Sadie Thompson (Not Yet Seen)
- A Ship Comes In (Not Yet Seen)
- Street Angel (Not Yet Seen)
2. 7th Heaven – Film about faith, perseverance and hope in the most desperate of situations that works despite being a silent film. Has some great themes that are thoroughly explored here.
1. Sunrise – Interesting story that is quite poignant in the way it shows the trials and tribulations of marriage along with possible outside temptations. The story moves at a nice pace and makes us constantly wonder which direction the man will ultimately choose in life. The film works on numerous levels and is able to present both an intriguing story and an allegory about life at the same time.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yep! JG is great in both films that Ive seen her in and based on those performances, she seems to be a deserving winner even if I haven’t yet seen any of her competition.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!