Every Month, the site runs a poll based on the list of films submitted by LAMB members for the prestigious ability of being named as the Movie of the Month that will be discussed on the LAMBCAST podcast during that given month.
I decided that each month I will watch each of the films chosen and give my rankings of those films in order to decide which film I should vote for and in doing so, maybe help some of you also decide which film to vote for.
The voting is open until Sunday the 28th of November, so make sure to get your vote in soon.
This month, there were 5 Contenders suggested so here they are:
- It’s A Wonderful Life (1946) [Rob, MovieRob]
- A Christmas Story (1983) [Bubbawheat, It’s Time To Rewind]
- Edward Scissorhands(1990) [Aaron Neuwirth, The Code is Zeek]
- L.A. Confidential (1997) [Heather Baxendale-Walsh, The MILFcast]
- Klaus (2019) [Chris Staron, The Popcorn Auteur]
Here are my rankings along with brief thoughts on each film (click on the film title if you want to read my full review)
5. Edward Scissorhands(1990) – Not the biggest Burton fan and still can’t say I enjoyed this movie. Premise is too dark and quirky for me. Great cast and sculptures tho.
4. A Christmas Story (1983) – Nostalgic look at the way kids see the holiday season which is presented really well. The cast are all perfectly chosen and they each get the various quirks of their characters really well. Billingsley is a great choice in the lead role because he has the kind of attitude and personality that makes his character so relatable to almost everyone. The narration also works well to help create a nostalgic atmosphere for the story because despite the story taking place in the 1940’s, the premise and issues discussed are quite timeless.
3. Klaus (2019) – Such a great story that takes the story and themes that most people are familiar with regarding Christmas and tries to explain how it all came about. The voice cast is great with Schwartzman and Jones doing wonderful jobs with their characters. The standout tho is Simmons as the title character who must find a way to turn his own grief into job and happiness for all of those around him. The film is filled with some light moments that elicit laughter but the story is told so poignantly and allows for people to get a much better understanding of the meaning of the holiday season for family and loved ones. The animation style is a bit unique and strange but that actually adds to the atmosphere of this film which makes it so enjoyable to watch because it is such an original idea.
2. L.A. Confidential (1997) – Great mystery that works so well. They are able to take the noir genre and create something really intriguing that plays out so well. The story is multi-layered and it is filled with lots of really enjoyable twists and turns along the way that hep enhance things more and more as things move forward. The cast is superb and the three leads all works so well off one another due to the way that their characters are so diverse yet compliment one another the whole time.
1. It’s A Wonderful Life (1946) – Amazing premise that works so well because we get to see how developed the characters are due to the way things are presented. Stewart is superb in the lead role and this is his most iconic role because he truly is able to embody the character of George Bailey. The supporting characters are quite colorful and add so much to the way that things play out. The film’s message is a profound one that still rings true even after nearly 75 years because in essence every one of us is able to affect so many others around us even in ways that we can never fathom. The idea that this film brings forth has been copies so many times over the decades, yet none are as poignant and powerful like the way that Capra does it here. Such an amazing story that works on so many different levels and has become a holiday staple due to it’s premise.
So who should I vote for? – Obviously IAWL – not just because it’s the film I chose, but also because it is clearly the best Holiday movie ever made [Besides Die Hard (1988)]
To vote, click here
Good luck to one and all!!!