Harrison Ford – The Mosquito Coast
My Overall Thoughts:
UPDATED 28/6/18 – This was a year where Hoskins performance really stands out among the others in the Best Actor category. Despite this, it still opened the door to give a veteran actor an pseudo-honarary Oscar for a fine performance but it could never be classified as even close to being the best of his career.
5. Dexter Gordon (Not Yet Seen)
4. Bob Hoskins (Not Yet Seen)
3. William Hurt
2. James Woods
1. Paul Newman
5. Round Midnight (Not Yet Seen)
4. Children of a Lesser God – Matlin is amazing here and deserved her Best actress Oscar. Hurt is mediocre as usual. Interesting story but I think it would have been better if a more sincere feeling actor played Hurt’s role.
3. Salvador – Not as good as I had hoped. The storyline is very brutal and pulls no punches when trying to show the atrocities committed on both sides of this conflict. Not even close to being Stone’s best. Woods and Belushi do a good enough job with what they are given.
2. The Color of Money – Better than the original, but still has its moments that don’t work as well. Newman and Cruise are pretty good together. Not Newman at his best, but pretty close.
1. Mona Lisa – Hoskins is great here because he plays so against type in this role. The story is intriguing and keeps things interesting as we slowly learn more and more about what is going on. Hoskins was nominated for Best Actor for this role and his performance is quite deserving of all of the accolades it has received; he does give the best performance of the nominees and probably would have won had Newman not been given a “career” award. This story goes into very dark places in society and doesn’t lose focus on the kind of story that they are trying to tell.
UPDATED 28/6/18 – Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! Newman was an amazing actor and he does a fine job in this film yet it still feels as if it was given more as an honorary award instead of one that he deserved specifically for this role. None of the other nominees were amazing here and Hoskins clearly gave the best performance and it comes across as a mostly lackluster year for Best Actor nominees.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!