Here are the eight nominees: (Winner in Bold)
My Overall Thoughts:
- 8. – The Big Short – Found this one actually quite confusing and it tried too hard to dumb things down for the audience
- 7. – Brooklyn – Great acting, but the story just isn’t the kind that really classifies it as BP winner material
- 6. – Mad Max: Fury Road – Great action flick and it deserved all the technical awards, but BP??? I dont think so
- 5. – Room – Amazing acting by both leads and it truly had the potential to win despite not feeling epic
- 4. – Bridge of Spies – Hanks and Spielberg together again? Perfect combo for a thrilling real life story with a true mark on history
- 3. – The Revenant – Epic tale of one man’s journey fueled by revenge. DiCaprio is really spectacular here and I could see this one winning, but it was too focused on one character instead of giving a feeling of more of a collaborative story.
- 2. – The Martian – Great mix of sci-fi, humor and drama. Damon is superb and I loved the teamwork of the ensemble working together to bring him home. This could have taken it all had it been classified as a drama instead of musical/comedy by most awards ceremonies
- 1. – Spotlight – IMHO, the best of the great lot here. Truly tells an amazing story with a complete ensemble cast keeping things real for us. The story is the best character here and the rest of the cast do a great job supporting that feeling.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! Of the nominees, I think Spotlight is the one that looking back everyone will agree was the right choice. It’s a film that is universal and has a clear strong message with an amazing ensemble cast.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!