Hugh Grant – Four Weddings and a Funeral
My Overall Thoughts:
This was a great year and all 5 nominees are amazing. It was pretty obvious who would eventualy win, but all would have been deserving winners.
4. John Travolta
3. Morgan Freeman
2. Paul Newman
1. Tom Hanks
5. The Madness of King George – Interesting film that gives us a rare view of what possibly happened when the Monarchy of England lost his mind not long after they lost the Revolutionary War. Hawthorne is quite memorable in the lead role and does a wonderful job keeping things seem realistic. Parts of the film move along a bit too slowly, but it still is put together so well that it remains both interesting and entertaining. Hawthorne definitely deserved his Best Actor nomination for this role. Love the way that they portray the internal politics of the day.
4. Nobody’s Fool – Great movie, great characters, great cast and great story. It’s possible to believe that there are people like Sully and all those living in the town which makes the story so much more interesting.
3. Pulp Fiction – Tarantino is at his best, both in terms of storyline and dialogue. Go see it!!
2. Forrest Gump – Hanks is superb in the title role and I doubt many other actors could duplicate what he has done here. Gives off such an Americana vibe that we forget that it’s all fiction. Sinise is amazing as Lt. Dan and he really should gave won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor that year instead of Martin Landau. Won best picture in a very competitive year of nominees if not THE most competitive ever.
1. The Shawshank Redemption – One of the best movies ever made. The characters development is superb and we can really feel the bond between these two men growing over time. The story itself is compelling to watch unfold. King knows how to create an amazingly gripping story with well formed and interesting characters. Robbins and Freeman are perfectly cast here and I wonder if anyone else could have helped create such an iconic movie friendship.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Completely agree! This was such a competitive year, all 5 nominees are amazing in their roles but Hanks played a character who has become so iconic in the near 25 years since the film came out that it would be hard to imagine any of these other amazing performances eclipsing him.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!