Dolly Pardon – The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
My Overall Thoughts:
This is a year with some good performances, but one of them dominated the awards season because it was such a powerful portrayal of a very realistic character
5. Julie Andrews
4. Jessica Lange
3. Debra Winger
2. Sissy Spacek
1. Meryl Streep
5. Frances – Biopic that isn’t as interesting as one would expect because the story moves along at a strange kind of pace. Lange is superb in the lead role and once again proves how great an actress she could be since we truly believe that she is going through all of the hardships that her character is experiencing along the way. She deservingly was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress for her performance here. Stanley was nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Lange’s very domineering mother.
4. Victor Victoria – Funny idea that gets crazier and crazier as things move along. Spectacular cast helps keep this enjoyable and Andrews shines in the lead role. The use of a 1930’s backdrop helps the story because it is able to feature the ideas of Chicago and gangsters which helps highlight the macho/anti-macho stance of this film. The music and songs are passable, but are far from being as memorable as some of the non musical scenes of this film.
3. An Officer and a Gentleman – Scenes in training camp are stronger than the love story aspects of this movie. Gossett Jr. is amazing in his Oscar Winning role. Theme song is spectacular.
2. Missing – What a great telling of true events. Lemmon and Spacek are both excellent. It’s very interesting that even 37 years after the film was made and 46 years after the events, the story is still not completely done.
1. Sophie’s Choice – Very powerful movie once all is revealed and then all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. Amazing performances by Kline and Streep helped further solidify them in Hollywood. Streep won a Best Actress Oscar for this movie. Slow moving at certain points, but worth waddling thru them.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Absolutely! MS was spectacular in SC and showed the world how great an actress she can be with such a powerful performance that leaves all the other nominees in the dust.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!