My Overall Thoughts:
Once again, another year where the none of the 5 nominees are amazing films that swept all the awards shows (the few that they had back then)
The Robe won the Golden Globe that year.
It is understadable that FRom Here to Eternity won the top award and 7 other Oscars since it depicts for just the first time one of the greatest disasters in US history.
- 5. – The Robe – One of the first (of many) films dealing with the crucifixion of Jesus and its repercussions on the Romans who were affected by it. The story doesn’t feel as groundbreaking now as it probably was then. Isn’t as thrilling as it probably could be but the message of the film is still quite clear. Burton, Simmons, mature and Rennie are all good here, but none of them really stand out.
- 4. – Julius Caesar – Nice version of the famous Shakespearean play depicting the rise and fall of the rulers of Rome and how much politics gets in the way of things along the way.
- 3. – Roman Holiday – A Princess who wants her freedom, escapes her entourage in order to explore Rome on her own. Hepburn and Peck are great here and this is such a fun film.
- 2. – From Here to Eternity – Interesting drama that shows the complexity of life in the Army prior to the outbreak of WWII. It moves quite slowly at the beginning, but has some great scenes.
- 1. – Shane – Great depiction of the strong cattle rancher vs. the weak homesteader who needs help from a drifting gunfighter. This is done so well and is considered one of the best westerns ever made. Ladd is superb here.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Yes and No! FHTE is a great film that depicts a relatively recent monumental event, but it just isn’t as good today as it was probably viewed 64 years ago. Shane, on the other hand, still remains relevant now, but they made the right choice at the time.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!