Robin Williams (Good Will Hunting)
Tom Wilkinson – The Full Monty
My Overall Thoughts:
This is another year with 5 great nominees in the category and ultimately it came down to a race between two popular comedic actors that gave great dramatic performances.
5. Greg Kinnear
4. Robert Forster
3. Anthony Hopkins
2. Burt Reynolds
1. Robin Williams
5. Boogie Nights – Movie doesn’t have much of a standard plot and makes the viewer constantly wonder what the point is besides showing the dark world that these people are sucked into with little to no chance of getting out. Reynolds is the obviously stand out here and gives one of the best performances of his career here.
4. Jackie Brown – Not as good as Tarantino’s previous work, but still pretty good. Recommended for those who enjoy the genre despite it being a bit long.
3. Good Will Hunting – Slightly over-rated movie. It’s good, just not great. Damon and Williams are both excellent here and both give some of the most amazing performances of their careers here.
2. As Good as It Gets – This story has it’s flaws (minor may they be), but the movie is completely carried by the performances of the 3 leads (who all got Oscar nominations with Nicholson and Hunt taking home gold).
1. Amistad – Amazing cast helps make this film feel so real. The story seems simple, but the intricate complexities help make it so powerful and impactful. Spielberg creates a great story by introducing us to a vast number of characters who each have their own agenda when dealing with the legalities of it all. Hopkins is superb as the former President John Quincy Adams and despite only being in a few scenes is so memorable because of his character’s ability to steal every scene he is featured in. Such an important part of US history that helped forge the country’s path that is now more widely known due to this movie’s influence.
Do I agree with the Oscar winner? – Most Definitely! As great a comedic actor as RW was, he was always amazing when given dramatic roles. His performance in GWH is truly among his best and he deservingly was awarded the Oscar for this role. BR also showed how great a dramatic actor he could be in BN and was a close second even if he would have also been a deserving winner if the votes had been in his favor.
Let me know what you think about these films and my rankings!